- You are here:
- Safety on rallies
Safety on rallies
Rallysport can be dangerous. Competing cars are often running fast on common roads. Therefore the spectators are requried for responsible behaviour to secure their own safety as they are mostly not protected with barriers as on racing circuits. Spectators are watching the rally on their own risk, but it doesn't mean they don't need to respect the safety regulations and arrangements! Rallysport is beautiful sport, but without appropriate security it can easily become a dangerous hazard! Accidents with spectators are the biggest threat of this discipline. You can help with keeping rallysport alive - think of your behaviour before going to the special stage. Don't hesitate to help the Route marshals with undisciplined spectators, who refuse respecting the safety arrangements. The act of an individual is the basement for act of the society - if you do positive action, others will join you. Here are basic rules how to behave at the special stage route when watching the rally cars. Learn these instructions and follow them:
- Obey the organizers' instructions. If people are asked by the Route marshals to leave dangerous place on the SS route, they should follow these instructions. In case of indiscipline the special stage will be canceled!
- Especially dangerous locations are marked as "PROHIBITED AREA" or "NO GO AREA". Do not try to enter these places, they can be terminally unsafe! Do not stand on "escape roads" as well. Do not cross the safety tape or net and stay behind it!
- Keep the distance from the edge of the roadway. Keep in mind the high speed of competing cars. It is impossible to eliminate either the driver's mistake or an unpredictable technical defect of the vehicle.
- Don't stay near bumps, crests or jumps located on the roadway. When the car lands off the ground, the driver has only small chance to control it. The car can easily leave the road after landing.
- Don't sit by the SS route. Always watch, what's happening on the special stage. Think of quick evacuation of your place, at any time keep prepared an escape way and be prepare for quick reaction.
- Avoid places below level of the route. Do not stand on outer sides of curves, in front of houses or other impassable obstacles. In forest do not stand in front of the trees. For watching the competition shoose only places on elevated areas, behind solid obstacles etc.
- Cooperate with Organizers and Route marshals, in case of menace of danger organizer must be informed about the current situation. In case of any accident spectators should wait with possible help on organizers' dispositions.
- If you take the children to the rally, keep them under careful and constant view. Adults are fully responsible for childrens' safety!
- Do not cross the roadway and do not walk on the SS route during special stage! Take the position for watching the rally before start of first rally crews, not during the SS run! Count with time limits - take a look on the Rally guide in advance, when the SS route is giong to be closed before the start and re-opened after the end. Remember that the route SS is not re-opened until the Organizer's vehicle passage!
- Avoid driving on access roads upstream of competition vehicles approaching the SS during the rally. Roadways to the special stages are often narrow and racers could be in hurry.
- Park your vehicles on reserved parking lots appointed by the police or the organizers. Do not park where you could stand in the way of competing crews, service staff and other participants of public traffic.
- Don't stand in front of traffic or directive signs.
- Don't damage the environment!
- Don't take your pets at the special stage with. Domestic animals must be secured to not to enter the SS route.
- Don't throw anything on the route - it could endanger the safety of passing competing crews. This behaviour is also handled in the Criminal Code!
- NO ALCOHOL OR DRUGS ON RALLY!!!
Image credits: Rally Acropolis